Tuesday, March 16, 2010

I Just Noticed

When bead shows design their web pages, class brochures, show schedule brochures and the like, they decorate them with pretty (and relevant) pictures. A certain large show always commissions a wonderful lampwork bead from a big name artist, and the image of the bead appears all over the place - makes sense, after all, you want your promotional materials to, well, promote your show offerings.

At Bead Fest in Portland last year, my Verdura necklace graced the cover of one of the brochures that you could pick up at the show (I really don't remember what was in it; it was pretty slim. Perhaps a list of the vendors, or when they opened and closed), which was quite a thrill though it didn't quite mitigate the extraordinarily low registration for that class, since I really want both fame and fortune!

Actually, either one would be fun, although if I got to choose, I'd like enough fortune to cover both kids' college education along with my very early retirement; I've said it before and I'll say it again: the day job really cuts into my beading-knitting-spinning time. And then I'd happily make up the balance in fame. Not sure exactly what world I think I'm living in.

I only just noticed that my next national gig features me (well, a class of mine) on the banner that appears on every page:
Close-up:
See? My Pearl Ruffle! Guess it explains why all my enrollments are for this class and no others (so far).

Let me tell you, I'm feeling quite full of myself right now, especially as the only other piece of beadwork appearing on every page in the left-hand margin is a bracelet by the supremely talented Cynthia Rutledge. Not that I would ever have placed myself on the same page as her (I'm in awe of her work), but I'm happy to bask in the glow now that someone else has done it!

[Edited to add:
  1. Blogger seems to be having a problem with comments. They reach my email, but I can't publish them here.
  2. The good people at Puget Sound Bead Festival naturally have more up-to-date enrollment information that I do (and it's looking good!) so it turns out that even though I'm spreading misinformation (all my classes have registrations - yay!) it's really not on purpose or with malicious intent. Currently all I know about for sure are class kits sold. It did made a good story on the power of pictures as a promotion tool though!]

1 comment:

Melissa Lovejoy Goldman said...

Charlene-

I'm so happy that you noticed your Pearl Ruffle on the banner of the website. It's a lovely piece, and it was quite popular at the Kick-Off Party on Friday.

I did notice a bit of exaggeration in this post though - you're one of the few instructors that has registrations for every single class. Although I'll grant you that Tudor Necklace and Rivoli Flower Pendant are not selling out (yet), you should also be really proud of Donut Pendant which has even more registrations than Pearl Ruffle does!

I personally think that you have every reason to be "full of yourself" right now!

Looking forward to meeting you in July -
Melissa