I like working with black metal pipes (I made two lamps last year) but when you get them, they are very oily and dirty and need severe washing before you can use them.
This is not ultimately a tragedy.
And then I made a sample for Tuesday's class and learned just how horribly sensitive this design is to minuscule variations in seed bead sizes. And fire-polished bead sizes too. When they call it a three-millimetre bead, they really mean "more or less, randomly".
I don't think it's bad, it's just not the perfect glove-like fit of my original class samples.
Luckily class isn't until Tuesday and I know how to fix this.