Saturday, July 10, 2010

Playing in Tacoma

The advantage of teaching a class at 7 in the evening is that it leaves the day free for playing.

The play that was not shopping (see later) involved the Museum of Glass which started really well with the Bridge of Glass.
These people happened to be in the picture. I actually didn't notice until I uploaded to my computer, as the sun was so bright that I could barely see the viewfinder, or whatever you call the LED display on new-fangled digital cameras.

Looking skywards in the covered portion of the bridge reveals a profusion of Chihuly.
Yes, breathtaking.

At the bottom of the staircase, you see waterfront. Coming from land-locked St Louis, this was such a treat.
A lake of glass is to the left.
It's full of twisty and opened-up clear glass hat catches the light so wonderfully.
The museum itself, sad to say, I found underwhelming. It consisted of the works of a single artist, whose aesthetic was wildly antithetical to my own. I was out in ten minutes or so.

Walking quickly along the waterfront to release my annoyance at wasting money that could better have been spent on beads, I happened across a seafood place (for people who're going to cook it, as opposed to sit down and eat in the spot) that had a couple of seafood salads available for purchase by weight.

The bend in front of this colourful thingie seemed a perfectly appropriate place to sit and eat my lunch.
I was so miffed at the Museum of Glass that I bypassed the art museum; possibly a mistake, but perhaps I'll come back again.

I ask you: could you resist polyclay beads that looked like this?
I could not.

My new favourite glass artist is Scott Parrish.
His colours speak to me in dulcet tones: lots of reactive colours and shards and big and yummy and oh yes, eletroforming.

So I had to make earrings.
Which I liked so much that I went and bought more of his bead pairs and made a couple more pairs of earrings, though by this time I'd run out of ear wires.
Not to worry, there are more at home.

The class last night was plenty of fun; I had a last-minute sign-up from a former student from Bead Fest Portland last year. He's such a delight, everyone's favourite. As Anne said "I loves me some George!"

3 comments:

Sharon said...

Love your earrings and the beads! There are so many great glass bead artists here in the Pacific Northwest.

It sounds like you only saw the Preston Singletary exhibit and his Native Pacific NW aesthetic didn't resonate with you.

On a recent day at the museum, the Mr. & I enjoyed this exhibit, the Children's design exhibit, the visiting artists collection, the video theatre, and the presentations in the hot shop. Not to mention the bridge where we spent an hour taking photos.

Later I did three blog posts about it, starting here:
Knot-Cha-Chá!™
***

janel said...

Oh, I wish I had driven up to see you and play!

Are you staying at the Murano? That's a lovely hotel with lots of glass interest.

Charlene said...

Sharon, yes, that's the exhibit I saw and very emphatically did not connect with. I did however enjoy the children's art exhibit - what fun! - and of course the bridge gets you in the mood.

It was too warm for the hot shop, and besides, I've seen quite a bit of that, and while it can be fun to watch, I was really hoping to see a varied array of finished glass pieces. There was no visiting artists' collection that I could determine, unless that was the three pieces in a case in the main hall.

Let's just say it wasn't what I was anticipating in scope, and so I was disappointed.

Janel - we're even now! Yes, I'm at the Murano, which is quite, quite gorgeous.