Monday, June 28, 2010

Not Navel-Gazing

I don't want to give the impression that all I do is marvel over the interior of the human body (mine), so let me present evidence to the contrary.

Item the first, since my class prep for the trip is pretty well taken care of: another colour-way (the first was gunmetal, red and white) for a new Sputnik kit that I'll take with me to Puget Sound.
It's not a great photo, because in real life, the green is brighter and more springy, the cream is really quite amber, and the brown is warmer and glowier, not nearly so yellow.

(b) Another new kit and instructions for the class that I'll be teaching some time after I get back.
None of the beads is actually yellow in real life. It's always something.

Third, still in progress, another version of the above with possible add-ons.
I bought the seeds and drops online from a vendor whose photos I regard more as guidelines than as gospel truth (in reality this is so for most online vendors. They aren't necessarily professional photographers any more than I am), and when they arrived and I held the two bags together, I had something of an "uh-oh" moment when I realised that it may not have been a match made in heaven after all, and put it out of my mind as I did other things.

Turns out that the beads IN A PROJECT are so very much better than either on a string or in a bag (again: why am I surprised? This is not new. It happens all the time, with every medium. I'm very glad that human evolution doesn't depend on me, as I'm not feeling all that superior here), and I adore the beaded beads.

Such joy can only be balanced by confusion, which means that I can't decide what beads to include to string with these. My instinctual motion is towards More Purple Beads, for a moment only, because really I do know that something of a contrast would be far better, but time limits me to the stash, and while it turns out that I have vast quantities of suitably-sized green beads, I'm rather light on everything else (except amethyst nuggets, which I'm trying to avoid, being that they're purple and therefore not all that contrasty).

And (iv), since I'm teaching this tomorrow:
it behove me to finish the instructions for the piece that transforms a chain of flowery thingies to a useable necklace or bracelet:

I bet most people want to make a pendant instead, but still.

I've also spent a significant amount of time knitting and ripping the same item. Four times now. It's a bit annoying.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

OK now I need to ask a question.... I want to know if you are going to make kits for these after you teach them? I am not begging (as I promised to wait until after the festival ;)) but I am in love with your creations and I hope I have enough skills to recreate some of these in my pairings. And I have to say kits of theses would be amazing!

Charlene said...

I don't have plan for kits for the last one (the flowery chain), mostly because the samples will take considerable time to complete - I like to have a sample using the exact beads in the kit, so that people have a good idea of what it will look like.

The other two: absolutely. Whatever is left over after Puget Sound (and after I've taught the classes) will be available in my Etsy shop.

And thanks! :)

Unknown said...

Ooooo I will just have to wait and save my nickles and dimes! Do you tak nickles and dimes? ;)

amyfibre said...

Ooooh! Really like that colorway for Sputnik.

And would you stop tormenting me with Panspora! Class isn't until September and I'm not sure I can stand the waiting.

See you tonight. For flowers....of all things. See the effect you have on me?????

Charlene said...

MWaaaahaaahaa! It's all part of my evil plan to hypnotize everyone with seed beads and, ummm, get them to, uhhh, do, well, um, give me, ummm, oh, just get them to share the joy. Whatever.