Sunday, May 16, 2010

Mora Spora

Just how obsessive is it to feel the need to constantly reiterate how obsessively I've been making beaded beads when really I should have been writing up instructions and filling kits and the like? I don't think it makes me a bad person, just a repetitive one. I guess can live with that.
The colours above are this fabulous understated subtlety; not my usual direction, but this time they resonate with me.

The beaded beads are actually a very pale lemony yellow that reads as cream at first blush. There are brass spacer beads, "new jade" beads (the creamy-looking ones) - I forget what they really are, some kind of jasper I suppose, but the listings on almost every web-site show the quotes. Not really jade, not especially new. And then very pale, dilute olive without the pimientos. So pale they could be golden, or beige, or perhaps almost a dark cream.
I was getting bored - not of the beaded beads, but of stringing them - and luckily managed to find a pendant that matched. And there are matching earrings too.

I did manage to make the final sample for my Rivoli Flower class at Puget Sound, and I have to say that this is my favourite, because the colours have it all: the colour of the main seed beads needs about seventeen words to describe it (my heuristic for being attracted to a colour is proportional to the number of words the colour needs in its description), the small ones contrast well, and then the accent beads are all different finishes: metallic iris, matte rainbow and vitrail, which as you can see is all green and pink iridescence.
Yum.

And May Earrings of the Month Kits will be in the mail tomorrow.
Just a small tease, not really a spoiler.

I found a phantom(*) yarn last weekend at a very odd shop, and all I can say is that I wish I had more of it. The colours are subtle and murky with tiny flashes of odd contrast which work up beautifully: no pooling. The yarn itself is a cabled cotton yarn with somewhat low plying twist, which means that it's a bit splitty, but also very soft and silky. Very luxurious.

I'd go back and buy more, but all they had was one skein of nasty cotton candy pink and another of My Little Pony pink-and-aqua.

I might just have my next quest cut out for me.

(*) Way back in undergraduate days, there was this group of guys with whom I was friendly, and they used to refer to people they didn't know as phantoms, as in "Who was at that party last night?" "Dunno, a bunch of phantoms", and I've never quite fallen out of the habit of thinking of unnamed things as phantoms. Hence phantom yarn.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

This necklace is awesome! Thanks so much for the eye candy :)