Friday, April 9, 2010

Serendipitously Semi Successful

So how do you measure success when what you were making turned out the way you expected it to, sort of, only ugly and a little bit House of Wax or Phantom of the Opera or something like that, but at the halfway point, you happened to notice that it made an interesting bead cap for a very large bead, and at that point, was pretty successful, even though the finished object wasn't exactly?
Is there a serendipity scale?

I like the bead cap, but the beaded bead is a bit like a Bride of Chucky dress form (though I'm not sure being a seamstress was her highest priority, as far as I know. I didn't see the movie).
Or perhaps an Invasion of the Body Snatchers cocoon, the one with Donald Sutherland in his yummy prime. It really could be an alien egg-pod-thing, like the ones in Alien before they opened.

No, I didn't set out to construct all my metaphors in terms of movies, it just turned out that way.

In other news, I'm in the middle of a "Spring Swap" in which we are randomly half-paired in that a sender is not the receiver for their receiver - or is that double-paired? Either way you get assigned a secret swap partner to whom you send a beaded thingie made to your best interpretation of the questionnaire that they fill out.
I've been so focused on the thought that time is running out and even though I knew exactly what I was going to make my swap partner from the moment I read her questionnaire I haven't actually made it yet, that I forgot that the meaning of the word "swap" implies a balanced transaction, and that there was someone making something for me, according to my answers, and oboy, she did.

Love the colours, love the style, if I was going to make a brick-stitched necklace and not get annoyed after a single medallion and decide that brick stitch really is best in small doses only when necessary, a medicinal sort of stitch as far as I'm concerned ... well if I were to use brick stitch to make something for myself (which I'm unlikely to, if the ramble above wasn't clear), I'd want to make something like this.

Thanks, Laura!

1 comment:

Jill Wiseman said...

Laura is a friend of mine! She teaches at Nomadic Notions here in Austin where I used to teach. She's an AMAZING designer....lucky you!