Thursday, April 22, 2010

Not Quite Sure

It's not as though I have nothing to do, although in fairness I did have some sort of vague goal. I thought it would be a pendant, but now I'm not so sure.
I mean, it's TALL.

And that funny purple topknot? What's that all about?

First I was going to make a dodecahedron using large silvery rondelles with size 8s in between and 11s and fire-polished beads in an overlay. I wondered how much it would matter if I sewed with light tension, if the overlay would give it enough stability.

Quite a bit , as it turns out (mattering). Not even close (to enough stability).

It was this huge, floppy roundish thing.

Snippety-snip.

Then I decided to make a pentagonal prism (pentagon top and bottom, squares around the sides), again with the rondelles and the 8s and the 11s and the fire-polished beads.

It was a little dull and not dissimilar to others I've made, and as I was adding the criss-cross overlay with droplet beads, the thread frayed and broke.

More cut-cut-cutting your hair (anyone remember that?)

Since the prism was too small and the dodecahedron too big, I decided to make a hemi-dodecahedron (I don't know if that's a real thing. If a hemisphere is half of a sphere, then a hemi-dodecahedron must be a half a dodecahedron, right?) with all the overlay stuff, possibly something different in the centre pentagon.

Hence the large purple droplets.

It still was a bit squishy, so I added more overlay around the equator to tighten it and then I realised it might be a bit, um, lacking in usefulness, so I stopped and took pictures in an effort to delay making a decision about how on earth to incorporate it into a piece of jewellery.

I'm sure something will come to me eventually.

5 comments:

Michelle said...

I'm not sure what the flip side looks like...but what if the drop-y side faces down and you use a piece of wire for a wrapped loop and have fringe attached to the wire...the loop would be obscured from view with the drops. On the wide side, you could have a single larger bead or stack some progressively smaller beads for a taper.
Bead Happy!
Michelle

Charlene said...

That's an interesting idea.

The back is HOLLOW, and I'd need quite a big bead to fill it! I might be able to make a netted cone from the edges that turns into a necklace rope. I do like your idea of fringe pouring out of the topknot though.

Gypsy said...

That would make a kick-ass ring! I would wear it...

Charlene said...

Heh, a ring? It's HUUUGE! Two fingers wide and tall, just about.

Gypsy said...

But I am over 6' tall with HUGE hands....2 inches is about right LOL!