Monday, September 14, 2009

Veggies and Dessert

I ate my vegetables (packed kit-stuff)
and rewarded myself with a chocolate dessert (non-goal-oriented playing with beads).
This is fun, as I have no real plan. Even though it's not what is widely regarded as "freeform", it really is, as I'm switching stitches as the mood strikes me (which in this instance pretty much equates to being bored or having to join in a new thread).

FYI what is generally described as freeform, tends to be freeform peyote, which is free in that patches of the work will use different beads in adjacent patches - different in any or all of colour, size and shape. Additionally, even though the work tends to start off as a single strip, it may divide and twist, so that what is essentially an uneven two-dimensional ribbon becomes a three-dimensional structure.

I've done some, but I have to say that I don't love it. Apart from the zen of either long pieces or multiple almost-identical units, what really floats my boat is interesting structure, clever construction, and unusual techniques. In general I also very much enjoy the planning and refining part of design, though clearly I'm not even slightly on that page with my purple meanderings above.

No comments: