Wednesday, February 9, 2011

This Week's Obsession

I finished my necklace and had to wear it as soon as possible (i.e. the next day) even though it didn't actually match my clothes.
I love love love the little components that make up the chain, so I had to make a pair of earrings.
Turned out that these crystals were a bit smaller than the purple crystals in my necklace, so I had to adjust some of the bead counts, which means that when I write instructions for this, I'll probably have to include tips for bead counts. I think that makes the instructions better, more useful.

During slow times in last night's class (when they were working towards "twenty pairs of stem beads" or "twelve peyote stitches and an increase") I worked on a matching pendant which I hope to finish today or tomorrow so that I can start on another differently-arranged necklace (or perhaps another different pendant).

The base component is essentially an equilateral triangle, and while its lack of flatness (it's most definitely not two-dimensional like a peyote triangle) is somewhat limiting, the shape nonetheless lends itself to a variety of configurations, some of which I've sketched and all of which I hope to work through before the next obsession strikes.

And it will.

Next class in two weeks: Deveti Pendant.
I made boatloads of these, mostly for sale, but the above is my own, which I find myself wearing very often. When I made it, I was in a huge hurry to wear it, so it's on a gold-tone chain which has gradually become very dark since my skin does weird things to jewellery finishes, but it would really be much better on something beaded.

One day when I have time and am flat out of obsessions, I suppose.

No comments: