Sunday, February 28, 2010

Still Rolling

My pace may have slowed slightly, but it really hasn't altered course much.
Here I fiddled with bead sizes for dangle earrings with two sizes of beaded beads. The pictures don't show very well (she said as though she had nothing to do with the actual taking of them), but the beads have more of an iridescence than is apparent, so the light off them is more fractured and interesting.

I also made Cindy's necklace to match the earrings she bought from me a few weeks ago.
I enjoy the juxtaposition of the organic movement of the dangles with their almost-sharp geometric shape. The contrast of the cold steel-coloured cube seed beads with the opalescent white also works quite well. I might make another one in a different colourway (opalescent lavender with golden-bronze, perhaps. Peach with deep copper. Turquoise and bronze. Possibilities), or perhaps offer it as a made-to-order in my Etsy shop. I was a little afraid the white and silver would look too bridal, and perhaps if it were more floral, it would, but I don't really think it does.

Somewhere in the middle of all this beading, my ballet subscription had me see River North Chicago Dance, who were fabulous. Very exciting, incredibly athletic, and I'd say "modern" or "avant-garde" if these weren't such dated terms. Bleeding edge, perhaps. Very enjoyable however you describe them.

And although it seems as though I've barely had a chance to draw breath, I have to start thinking about classes June through September.
A bezel based on a daisy chain with right angle weave and encrusted with drops. Clear drops with sparkling linings (gold in this instance) create so much dimension for so little effort - there's something about the way the clear glass refracts and reflects the light, and the lining is like a co-conspirator in the scheme to confuse the eyes. In a good way.

No comments: