Friday, July 10, 2009

Watch It

A couple of years ago, I decided to make a fashion statement and bought a quirky man-size watch with a huge face.

Let me rephrase that.

A couple of years ago, I acknowledged my age by buying a watch with a huge face and clear numerals because I was annoyed at having to concentrate too hard to figure out the time. It was an inexpensive watch and came with a crappy faux patent leather watch-band which was naturally to be replaced immediately (if not sooner) with an attractive beaded watch band like the previous watch (only, as I said, bigger and clearer. The watch face, that is).

Apparently it wasn't that important to me, because the junky strap finally gave way about a month ago.

At home and at work timepieces are always nearby (computer, microwave, alarm clock), but when I'm out and about or teaching I have to fish something (phone) out of my bag to do a timecheck.

Annoying.

So I made the watchstrap.
I'd better show you a close-up.
Well, as much of a close-up as Blogger will permit anyway.

I used the buckle from the defunct strap and filled in the bits between the watch face and the buckle with herringbone stitch in mostly size fifteen seed beads, decorated using size elevens, two millimetre faceted beads and equally small rice pearls.
I think it'll work quite well.

Actually, I'm quite taken with the simplicity of the design; might make some cuff bracelets for the Etsy shop and upcoming shows using the same technique, though the size fifteens are a tad tedious.

Last weekend I also made a hollow thingy.

It's about an inch and a quarter in diameter and I'm not too sure what I'll do with it.

1 comment:

Joy said...

Really neat watchband! How about a couple of hollow "thingies" on a lariat-type necklace?