Friday, July 31, 2009

Total Hedonism. Probably Partial At Least

Or, In Which It Is Shown That I Am Utterly Weak And Only Able To Follow My Desires Instead Of My Duties
Not only did I make another one of these, I named it (Flangiflora, because it has a flange and it's sort of floral. Naming, if it's not obvious, is not my strong suit) and wrote instructions.

These are barely in inch across, a bit more than half an inch in height, and hollow. Not reversible. Really fun to make (clearly: I was unable to resist the lure).

If I were to use them in necklaces (and I will, just not this second), I would probably sew one of the flange beads to my necklace which would naturally be sewn out of beads and therefore amenable to having a pendant sewn to it. You could probably also run some wire (either one of those fabulous choker neck wires or the usual coated beading wire) under one of the petal-ish parts, the pointy bit with the three silver beads on each side of the little dark fringey bead.

Here's a picture of the one I finished last night (I know it's in the post from this morning, but that one doesn't have the tags that this one will, so I'm going with the More Is Better philosophy).
And this is what it looks like from the side, sort of:
And from the underneath:

Flangiflora Pattern: $6 for PDF emailed to you







Materials
6mm and 4mm fire-polished beads
Seed beads in sizes 11, 8 and 6 (very few)
Japanese fringe beads
Your favourite beading needle
Your favourite beading thread

This is, by the way, right angle weave with non-specific beading techniques for the embellishments. I assume someone with some beadweaving experience, though you don't need to know right angle weave - I do expect that you know how to secure the thread in the beadwork and needle through to exit at a desired bead and so on. It's not hard, but it may be confusing to a rank beginner.

No comments: