Saturday, October 4, 2008

Not Quite Ready

Well, I'm not packed for SOAR yet, and my flight leaves in a little over twelve hours, so I'd better get cracking!

On the plus side, I have managed to complete two items for the scholarship auction (just minutes ago, I might add), so it's not as though ALL my time has been spent worthlessly (see below. No, below the beading stuff. Yes, it's the part about knitting with no pictures.)
Remember the gorgeous bead, the sight of which has led many into temptation, that broke? Turns out cheap aquamarine is the perfect colour to go with my necklace, and even though I can no longer be self-satisfied at the way the beadwork cleverly echoes the patterning and shape of the bead, at least I now have a necklace whose focal will not draw blood if I fiddle, uh, fondle it.

Knitting.

I'm a bit despondent. Fortunately I have a barely-started sock which of course will do for travel knitting in a pinch, but there's no way in hell I'll have a third sweater for the gallery this year.

I hate my merino-tencel sweater. It deserves to die.

Here's the problem. I did that lovely circular yoke (about twenty-nine times. Well, two or three at least) which fits perfectly and lies on my body just that way I would want it to. That part isn't a problem, exactly.

I then very boastfully raised the back of the body of the sweater via short-rows, which works well in that the front neck is indeed lower than the back neck; however it has the unfortunate side-effect of being better suited to a body shaped somewhat differently than mine, and in fact than most humans. 

It would appear that I am missing a large bosom just below the shoulder-blades, if my sweater is to be believed. When I say "bosom", I am of course referring to that large, unjiggly mono-boob favoured by stern corseted matrons from previous centuries. My sweater has a large pooch in the area between my back waist and shoulder-blades, which may well block out (but I hate that; it's a cop-out in my opinion), or be mitigated by the addition of actual sleeves, into which I have been loathe to put any effort, since what's the point.

The thing is, it's wildly unflattering on this body. I tend to be on the short-waisted side anyway, and the multi-colour rounded yoke in contrast with the largely-solid lower body so effectively divides my torso as to make me look positively deformed that I'm surprised it hasn't been ripped out yet. I might take it to SOAR for general entertainment and amusement first. After all, someone should get some pleasure from my misery, right?

Now that I have multiple lengths of yarn (the yoke is striped; I cut the yarn from stripe to stripe) any future sweater is somewhat constrained, unless I want many same-colour joins within a section, so I might as well just cut my losses and make stripes. 

Or cut my losses, grab some different yarn, and start something completely and utterly new.

No comments: