Monday, March 23, 2015

Technology

No pictures today.

So the story is this: back in the early nineties at the time of the dotcom boom, my brother started a company in Australia that did domain name registration.  One of the things he did was to set up lifetime email addresses for all the siblings. I've been using that address ever since and people think I live in Australia because there's a ".au" in it.

I'm not. I live in the US.

He did very well, and was about to sell and make millions when the dotcom bust happened. He managed to stay afloat and rebuild and do very, very well until last year he sold his company for an ungodly amount and no, I was not a shareholder unfortunately.

I continued to use the same email address. It's on every page of all  my instructions, on my business cards, it's the one I give everyone. It's the contact on almost every site on which I'm registered. I use it everywhere.

It stopped working on Saturday.

My brother said he sold that domain with the company and it's GONE.

Since it was never used as an actual email with mailbox but only as a forwarding address to whoever my provider happened to be at the time, I'm not left in the lurch, but I'm in a bit of a pickle.

I may be about one-sixth of the way through the list of sites which have my old email address. It takes a stupid amount of time to update them - some sites are just not very friendly about where they hide your account information.

So many of us feel we live and die by technology and while that's a bit of an exaggeration, a suddenly disappeared email address definitely presents a quality of life issue, so that's where I am.

Not beading.

No comments: