Saturday, September 13, 2008

So Much Deliciousness

I'm working on another one of these:
All I have to say is that Harold Cooney is a genius beadmaker. The colours in this bead are rich and unexpected, and as before, I'm loving this project. This is slightly more urgent than Amy Sale Items, since I need to get it done by SOAR (first full week of October), but I don't think it'll be a problem to finish it, as it's an absolute pleasure.

I've also been working on Amy Sale Stuff:

OK, the colours are completely inaccurate, in part because what looks blue is really lavender or purple (the biggest beads are purple turquoise (no, it doesn't grow that way, it's irradiated or heat-treated or somesuch) and the smaller ones in the pendant are lavender-dyed "jade" - I'm sure it's not real jade, more likely so-called new jade, which is very pale. Pretty purple anyway, impossible to photograph. And oh yes, the earrings and pendant do in fact match, believe it or not.

Yesterday was my day for buying purple beads, as it turns out.

I'm unfortunately on Version 4.0 of the circular yoke sweater, and am saving time, effort and almost all thought processes by knitting it directly off the existing wrongly-proportioned yoke and once again hoping for the best. I am the eternal optimist, however I'm also slightly embarrassed by this bout of construction ineptitude, therefore no in-progress pictures until I'm certain it won't have to be ripped out Yet Again.

Back at the end of August when Kim asked if this sweater would be finished in time for SOAR, I unhesitatingly replied "Of course". Version 2.0 was also a pretty sure bet, and Version 3.0 was easily within the realms of the possible, but Version 4.0 is likely to require a schedule to which to adhere. Guess I'll need to figure one out.

I'm looking forward to tomorrow, as it's my monthly eating, erm, spinning group get-together. We've been spinning together once a month at each other's houses for probably close to ten years for some of the group, and the food is always what drives us into deliriums. Of joy, JOY.

The way it works is that the person who's hosting decides on an entree and then everyone else brings a side dish or dessert. Everyone cooks rather well, and those who don't, shop well, so the meals are always fabulous. No, we're not a guild. No, we aren't accepting applications for new membership - our vetting process is frankly too exacting. 

Last month we had our every-coupla-years dye day a la Deb Menz, so tomorrow will involve more fiber than anyone could spin at one time, as we'll be dividing up the rovings. We dyed five pounds of blue-faced leicester, five or six ounces of silk hankies and about ten ounces of optim: a generosity of yum.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have no doubt you will finish this sweater in time for SOAR, even if you have to(gasp) knit on the plane. Your beading is amazingly beautiful.
Gail M

Anonymous said...

ooh, LOVE the necklace!

kim said...

No pressure from me! No way - I have a cast off row and blocking on 1 lousy shawl and I'm not promising it will be done before we arrive, let alone clearing off bobbins on either of 2 wheels! :) (I'm too busy trying to chivy teenage boys into cleaning their rooms so that Rita & Jeanine have beds when they arrive and watching high school football games.)

And while I absolutely love the new piece, the purple ones for Amy's sale are things I would wear.