Saturday, February 9, 2008

(With Apologies) Frailty, Thy Name Is Woman

Yes, I know that by "frailty", the Bard meant "fickleness", but I'm feeling rather puny and frustrated right now, as I'm running a fever of 100.8, so I've allowed myself some creative quoting.

There was a fabulous local tapas restaurant that served killer mojitos, which I recently found out had closed, and which led me to an obsession: to have a dinner party inspired by tapas. This would mean that instead of a few courses with multiple coordinated accompaniments, I'd orchestrate a procession of bites, each complimenting the previous, so that for example crunchy would follow creamy, sharp would follow mellow and so on.

I spent a goodly amount of time scouring my books and my favourite recipe site for exquisite inspirations, and I found them. We would start with a fig and olive tapenade with goat cheese, and end with anise-scented chocolate mousse with cardamom-infused creme anglaise, with about eight other morsels in between, such as buckwheat blinis with smoked salmon and creme fraiche, cucumber-sesame salad, and chestnut-fennel soup. 

What kept me up at night was the orchestration of actual plates: my dinner service is for twelve, but I was expecting seven guests (yeah, I know, even numbers are better, but surprisingly, there were those who had Other Plans, the nerve), but I do have an extraneous Shelley (same shape, different pattern) tea service and one or two little oddities which would probably avoid the need for too much dish-washing between courses.

Except for the 100.8 degree fever.

No matter how maniacal my attention to meticulous hand-washing, my guests all agreed that they'd be more comfortable not eating food prepared by a sickie.

I'm feeling rather frail and frustrated.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, I would eat that delicious sounding food! It would be worth getting sick over I think...

Feel better soon, I hate being sick.

Anonymous said...

get better soon....love your dennyx00x

Anonymous said...

well, damn!!
and I'm sorry.
Get better soon...

Charlene said...

Thanks, I'm finally feeling human again and not spiking a fever. Optimistically, I tried to postpone the dinner for the next night, but I was still feeling puny and feverish, so it was a definite cancel. On the plus side, I had no appetite, and that's good for a pound or so...