Monday, September 28, 2009

As If It Never Happened

There's this weird thing about coming home.

Everything looks the same, the scattered patterns (that I didn't bring) are still on the floor, as if waiting to be packed. But I didn't, and they weren't, and they never left, so because I'm back, it's as though I never left either, but I did, because I can smell the airline air in my nostrils.

My suitcase was a few kits lighter, as I did manage to sell quite a few. Apparently the dictates of my cultural heritage regarding food (figure out how many people you're expecting, double it, add a hundred, and then maybe you'll have enough) apply equally to bringing kits to shows, since I sold only a fraction of what I brought (though I did anticipate that it might be overkill).

Either that, or I'm ridiculously over-optimistic.

Both possibilities are equally plausible.

My last day of Bead Fest was a gentle winding down with only (ironically) a single student in my class - you know, the one featured on the cover of the class catalogue or program or whatever it is - I opened it once to see if there are any other class project pictures in it (only one) but I didn't read a single line of its contents.
She was a hoot, and completely competent besides, as well as very inspirational in her attitude to life, so I had a grand time.

The day ended with an enjoyable and interesting dinner with a couple of other instructors during which indignation was expressed, plots were hatched, plans were made, but it remains to be see how they all play out.

Today? Travel. Eh.

No comments: