Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Watch This Movie

There have to be at least two buyers of movies for my local public library, because I can't believe that the same person would have picked both "The Prince & Me" and "The Station Agent", even though the same person chose to check both of them out.

"The Prince & Me" is even sillier and more improbable than "Pretty Woman", which offended me terribly at the time of its release, as I was annoyed that it was being passed off as being within the realm of the possible, even if it is an entertaining piece of fluff. "Pretty Woman", that is. "The Prince & Me" only vaguely approximated entertaining, but was good enough for plying, which is hideously boring unless it's being done in parallel with something else. Like watching a very silly romantic comedy.

"The Station Agent", on the other hand, was a delight from start to finish. The actors all looked vaguely familiar, and by the end of the movie I'd convinced myself that I'd seen them in other movies or on TV or something, but it's entirely possible that an hour and a half lent them some familiarity to me. Either way, it's a lovely little exploration of the nuances of the way people relate to each other: friendships, ultimately. Quirky characters, lovely acting, gorgeous scenery.

Meanwhile I've been making samples and writing instructions.
Yes, it's an earring class. Yes, there will be more earrings.

No comments: