Thursday, March 6, 2008

The Day After

And then the next morning, my back yard looked like this. About a foot or so, which we haven't had since the fifteen-year-old was a baby, as far as I can remember.
The snow day was all very well and good, but we couldn't go anywhere, since I couldn't get my car out of the driveway without shovelling (and that kills my back, so I don't do it, and the boy already did the neighbours' - for money! - and was done) and even after the driveway was cleared (male-type dinner guests, one from Austin, who wondered what it was like to shovel snow. He's so over it now) everything was icy and I almost spent the night in the driveway of a friend of the seventeen-year-old (I wasn't having her drive in this) because their clearing was inadequate.

And then the temperatures hit the forties (Fahrenheit) yesterday so we're all melty and slushy, with more of the same expected today.

I spent most of yesterday working on this.

Even though these are not generally the colours I gravitate to first (but clearly there's some force of attraction since I had all these seed beads in my stash already), I'm really liking the mood and the blend.

You'd think I'd learn by now to take notes when working on one of a pair (of gloves, in this instance, but sleeves more generally. Oh. That reminds me, the Architectural Rib Sweater, hmm, yes). The second glove is taking about five times as long, because every part of it (so far) has to be knitted at least twice (and sometimes more) because I've been eyeballing the first glove for Second Glove Shaping Clues, but when you have cables and patterns and row counts and whatnot, and are aiming for the two to actually match, eyeballing turns out to be not the optimal measurement methodology.

Once I get to the pinkie, it'll be Bombs Away, and I'm expecting that today. I'm teaching beading to members of a weaving guild across the river in the next state, and I'm not driving, so unless there's chatter in the car to which I need to pay attention, I'll be able to focus on my second damn glove.

And with a bit of luck, after lunch we'll get to see eagles. I think I'll  like that.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for not taking notes. It makes me feel so much better that I have to redo the second sock so many times to make it match the first. Even when I'm attempting to take enough notes to write a pattern I can share with the world.
If they could figure out a way to automate THAT I could probably sell many many patterns -- I can design, I just can't record (grin)