Sunday, July 24, 2011

Slave to Colour

I'll probably still finish the green necklace from Friday, but apparently I needed to make one like this.
It's close in actuality to what I'd planned, but I don't love it as much as I want to, so I guess my plan must have been flawed. It's not awful, but it's not as lovely as I think it should be. I made the unadorned back section too long (you can see it from the front), and I wish I'd transitioned better.

I love fringe beads, and I love lots of fringe beads, and so I used a pair of fringe beads where seed beads looked lame, but the fringe beads don't behave all that well, so I need a better solution for that section too.

It may not seem like it, but the problem of a lack of transition between the back and the front presents in the lack of front focal, which I think might be in order.

I guess it's either Back To The Drawing Board or Forget This And Do Something Else, but I don't yet know which it will be.

On the other hand, the sample for Tuesday's class turned out quite well, although I was part-way through it when I realized that I'd used the same colours (though in different places) as in the first sample: purple and orange.

I might need to make another one in entirely different colours just to prove I can.

It looked to me like a lion's mane, so when looking for a name, I looked up the word "mane" in a bunch of languages until I found something I liked the sound of. The actual word (and I forget the language) was "crina", but I thought people might want to pronounce it "cry-na", so I changed the spelling to Creena.

I need to make one that doesn't have golden tones in it. You know, like the colour of a lion.

Apparently I'm all about the subconscious when it comes to colours.

I think I'm going to need to make blue or grey leaves and black flowers and metallic bunnies just to show my subconscious who's boss!

No comments: