Sunday, January 3, 2010

I Do

I committed.
I started knitting, but more importantly, I dyed and dyed - I even went to Goodwill when it was about twelve degrees Fahrenheit, which for my more sensible readers, is about minus eleven or more degrees Centigrade, to buy a crock pot as my dyeing crock pot died.

I'm that committed.

Looks like it's a sort of leafy theme, on the green side with splashes of orange and brown. And sock yarn. So I didn't feel so bad indulging in some new sock yarn - a lot less than I dyed, a lot less than I'm committing to the skirt, so the Net Uncommitted Sock Yarn Count has diminished, so it's all good, baby.

This looks as though it will be a pretty long-term relationship, as each of those mitred squares (admittedly this is the hem, the widest part and so the squares are as big as they will ever be) takes almost two full episodes of Firefly (my unexpected holiday/parting gift. I had no idea it was a science fiction Western), which I'm enjoying quite a bit, not least because of all the familiar faces. I had no idea: the girl robot from Terminator, Alpha from Dollhouse, Castle - I feel as though I'm among friends!

And it's always so much fun to knit with friends.

Class samples continue to be readied for the next deadline (which was originally the middle of the week after this next one, but got moved to next weekend).

Since the last batch of class samples had to be sent away (to be returned in February) and since I need at least some of them as samples for my local classes, I repeated myself.
Actually, I'd fully intended to make one of these in my usual monochromatic palette and one multicolour, so it's not as though it's all "OMG I need another one now!' or anything. I knew this was coming. I should make anther one using fringe beads. And another one as a necklace for the terminally imagination-deprived, but I probably won't.

Amy wondered how green would look when I showed her the purple one:

Like this. I might keep it for myself as I have two samples already (one en route to judgement).

Let me just say that I fully expect to not have any of my proposals accepted for this send-away-the-samples bead show, as they have set aside only 10% of their slots for seed beading, and I have little interest in generating projects not in my preferred medium just so that I can put another teaching gig on my resume. But I might as well at least try, and if I try every year, they might finally let me teach just to get me off their backs. Or perhaps seed beading will get all popular again, and they'll be scrounging for teachers and they'll think they know me because of all the years I will have been submitting class proposals.

Of course that'll most likely be towards the end of the century, long after I'm gone.

I'm looking with great sadness at the end of the weekend and my time of relative leisure (a series of short weeks) coming to an end until Memorial Day (that's the next scheduled holiday. We don't get MLK Day or any of the other ones that banks and the post office and other government agencies get, which I've always thought unfair. I can't say I'm too thrilled about it, as I really really REALLY like the extra time to get stuff done, like beading, knitting, sleeping in, reading on the sofa, that sort of thing.

And what with the whole new job thing, I haven't exactly accrued a fortune of vacation days.

It's quite annoying the way that thing they refer to as Real Life intrudes on my preferred reality.

1 comment:

amyfibre said...

YES! to the green