Sunday, February 3, 2008

Observation #83

There is no better way to determine which task you hate more than by setting yourself something onerous and then opting instead to do something that's been put off since forever due to its hideosity.

To whit: I promised to send my resume out to a few people, which pretty much implies that I have to get it up to date in order to have something to send. Instead, I completely took apart my stovetop for the first time ever (I have been in this house since 1999) so that I could explore and clean every accessible gunk-containing nook and cranny. It's very, very clean now, and as I type, I'm listening to the hum of the exhaust fan as I smell the whiff of incinerating oven goo as the self-cleaning function does its thing.

I hate cleaning so much that the first thing I will do when I get another job is to call Jola, who has been cleaning my house for fifteen years (except for two months six years ago when I was between jobs) and implore her to come back NOW. I'd rather knit, dye, spin, sew, bead, read, cook, sleep, write software, write instructions, submit teaching proposals, see a movie, watch TV, go to parent-teacher conferences (for both kids), help kids with homework, go grocery shopping - pretty much anything! - rather than clean. I was going to say I'd rather do taxes, but I wouldn't, I'd rather clean, though not often. On the other hand taxes happen once a year only, and I believe I have the strength of character to deal with that.

On the other hand (foot?), I do have new socks.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes you do have new socks....................and I don't.




poor poor poor poor me.

Anonymous said...

On another note Rachel h. and I were talking niddy noddies the other day,and I remembered yours from SOAR. What kind was it again.
It was cute,it was turned, it was adjustable. It haunts my dreams, I must have one.

Charlene said...

It was a David Reed Smith, available from the Woolery in Brewster, NY. I forget the name of the niddy noddy, but it's completely disassemblable, and adjustable - it can be configured to make three different skein lengths. He also has a spindle kit (which I also had to have, even though I don't spindle spin much) with two different shafts and three different whorls, also very lovely.