Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Just a Girl

A day early (there's a reason), but who cares? Who says romance is dead? 
I'm having a hard time remembering the last time that an actual boy sent me flowers - in a vase - for Valentine's Day. I remember Errol back in undergraduate days sent me a dozen roses, and I'm thinking there may have been another time since then, but I'm blanking. Yeah I know, hackneyed and all that, but what can I say, I'm susceptible.

I've been considering that what with the joblessness, I really ought to put real effort into developing a bit more of a beadwork inventory with, you know, the goal of selling some of it. 

I've sold a few times when the local bead store has had their Bead Art event, and since (a) this town in general doesn't seem to value hand made artisan work and (b) I knew the attendees would largely be drawn from surrounding neighbourhoods, at the time I thought I needed more inexpensive items, so that's much of what I made, and now I think they're embarrassingly sucky, and not deserving of any more exposure. From now on I'm only making things I would wear, and if that means that sometimes they're on the high end price-wise, so be it. What I'll do with the dreck is at this time a mystery though.

I've also sold at Amy's home sale, and while I started out with the same inventory, gradually I've been pulling the low-end items out and adding some better pieces. Pieces I think are better anyway.

Today I finished this. I love muscovite, but you don't see it that often, especially nice pieces like this.  I wish the camera had captured its sparkle: in real life, the stone looks filled with glitter.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's stunning. Lucky for my budget I would do a terrible injustice to those colour tones. ;o)

Elizabeth said...

Offer the stuff you don't care for on etsy for a reasonable price, under a different business name - save your "brand name" for stuff you're truly happy with. Have two different lines.

kim said...

What Rachel said! Those "ashes of roses" colors make me look ill. Now if it was brown/copper tones or garnet tones, I would be calling you for a price.