Thursday, February 28, 2008

Glove Time

As it turns out, I need the length of a flight from San Francisco back to the Midwest, minus a bathroom break, the time it takes to eat an apple, a bit of sketching frenzy as I work out the next design, and one and a half games of Sudoku to make a Sunita-sized (smaller than my hand) glove missing only the middle and index fingers on size 4/3.5mm needles.  Who knew?

The first glove was finished before I stepped on the plane. She admired the yarn so much as I was knitting on Wednesday (it was a convalescent visits of sorts as she was rather incapacitated by recent knee surgery), that I was only too pleased to rip and redo the gloves in her size. I think I've mentioned how susceptible I am to flattery.
The colour is far truer than in my previous post where I was confined to the use of the built-in camera, which is somewhat limiting.

Instead of going home from the airport last night, I went to Wednesday night knitting at the only local yarn shop I ever step into, and started on another pair of gloves for myself (see "sketching frenzy" above). I may end up with Yarn Quantity Issues, as by weight I have almost exactly the same amount of yarn left over as in the pair of Sunita-gloves, so I might just head worry off at the pass and make contrasting fingertips. If I could find a suitable pure angora in the stash (I'm using a thin strand of Nancy-dyed angora along with a wool blend) I'll use that, since my fingertips are the first part of my hand to get cold, and angora is wonderfully warm.
While I was away, I also made great progress on my Architectural Rib sweater, though as soon as I started knitting the sleeve in the round it became Less Fun, since I'd neglected to bring double-pointed needles with me in the appropriate size, and using a circular is extremely tedious for sleeves. I think the people who use circulars for socks are nuts. 

Also I'm certain I will run out of yarn, so I soon will need to spin two plies of Beast to make enough yarn for the cuffs (which I hadn't planned on making quite as long as designed, but circumstances (i.e. lack of yarn) may force me to do so anyway. As it turns out, I spin the third variegated ply way back when I thought I'd still make oodles more of this yarn.

I'll live.

No comments: