Friday, July 23, 2010

A Voice, Stilled

I know everyone dies, and I know Daniel Schorr lived a long time, and it seems he never lost his edge, didn't fade gradually, but I was still distressed by his death.

I admired his honesty and directness and impartiality in his work - I once heard an interview in which he recalled a biased comment he had made in one of his news analyses, and expressed more than a little regret and appeared embarrassed or perhaps a little angry that he'd allowed his personal feelings to get in the way of his objectivity.

He was always insightful and sharp and cut to the chase.

I'll miss that voice.

What with Puget Sound, I needed to play catch-up with July's Earring of the Month. Here's a teaser.
I've realised that for me, beaded beads are the ultimate honey trap, and once I start on a theme, it's hard to move on.
I was in the mood to make something too heavy to suspend from an earlobe, so I scaled up the bead sizes, and expanded on the embellishments.
I'm completely in love with this.

It's big, about two inches long without the loop, and heavy. The beads are also fabulous, and seem to be a somewhat new style of which I've seen a few variations lately. They're transparent with a gold[en] core, and a very soft aurora borealis finish, so unlike the harsher version of this effect, they do not have a couple of wildly mirrored facets, but have a gentle iridescence over the entire surface.

On the plus side, it looks like a class for the upcoming list but I need to make another one in beads I don't adore quite so much for the glass case at the store. I want this one in my home with me. I think I may marry it, or at least have an intense affair.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I am sorry for your distress at the loss of someone you admire. It is always upsetting when that happens.

On a lighter note I LOVE THOSE! I haven't been able to make beaded beads yet but I hope to!

You are a master

Hugs