Friday, February 5, 2010

Pinch and Cut

I think I mentioned that I had lusted after a right angle weave necklace using pinch beads that turned out rather badly. Now it is no more. It has ceased to be.
I cut it up and started making more cute little beaded beads - and it turns out that the older pinch beads are quite a bit smaller than the caramel and mint ones I wrote about a few days ago, so the beaded beads are smaller too. My plan is to make enough beaded beads to string with spacers into a necklace. I suspect it's not an unreasonable goal. Did I tell you how many pinch beads I have?

The benefits of a fairly large stash as a direct consequence of barely restrained Bead Lust is that most of the time, you can find almost anything you need.
What I needed were beads to go with the caramel and mint pinch beads and guess what?
No problem!

And trust me, I have the seed beads too, though they are still raw materials (Stitching takes ever so much longer than stringing).

I made some earrings. A friend of a friend bought a necklace but not the matching earrings, and now she wants them, and I just love making beaded beads so much that I made four earrings so that she can choose the two that make the best pair for her.
I'm kinda itching to make more of these beaded beads again. Perhaps another necklace, this time in blues or greens or browns. Anything that I have a lot of. It's the most fun use for the size 6 beads that I keep convincing myself I need, and then they sit in their little drawers, sulking and multiplying.

I had this idea for a multipurpose necklace, one which can be worn long or short, with a dangle or without, and this fits the bill.

I think it might be fun to explore the notion of multi-configuration jewellery. I certainly have piles of sketches indicating that it's not merely a passing thought, but somehow, I just hadn't quite gotten to it until now.

Actually this particular necklace is for a challenge, and so is for sale in my Etsy shop - the picture links to the listing if you're interested in seeing what other people have done, which is pretty stupendous.

I'm really not much of a joiner in general, and I'm never especially inspired by these challenges, and yet somehow I feel compelled to enter them from time to time, and each time I'm frankly a little embarrassed because I tend not to be terribly impressed with my challenge pieces, and yet I enter the next time I possibly can.

Not quite as bright as I'd like to think I am: evidence assuring me that I am really not.

No comments: