Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Just Get Me a Thriller Next Time

Apparently, I'm able to pass myself off as relatively uninconvenienced in the realm of the intellect, but next time, I need to pay a little more attention to the way I do things, specifically to my usual treadling speed.

So, my three lovely colourful bobbins which will become lovely yarn (pay attention and admire, as this is the best picture this blog entry):
It seemed that my daughter's favourite Hanukah 2006 present was Season One of Grey's Anatomy, bits and pieces of which I have occasionally watched in the interests of companionship and bonding with one's offspring, but we're talking a matter of minutes total, so in my weakened state, happy with the world, enjoying my creative mojo again, it seemed that Disc One (Episodes 1-5) would be more than sufficient to three-ply around twelve ounces of what currently looks like it's fingering weight, but after some severe abuse may end up close to dk weight.

You'd think.

But you've never seen me spin, have you?

They all laugh at me, my spinning friends, because my preferred whorl on my Schacht is the stupidly high speed one, or the ridiculously high speed or whatever it's called, ultra, super-duper, exceptional, something like that, because I treadle as though I'm about to pass out. To be sure, my favourite spinning is fairly fine yarn, so I do need a faster whorl but still, I treadle like a B movie actor walking in fake outer space.

And oh yeah, I'm plying this on my Lendrum, the one with the humungo plying head that rotates at parity with the drive wheel, even on the smallest whorl, or so it seems. Witness FIVE FULL EPISODES of Grey's Anatomy, a charming, fluffy, sweet show. Not All Plied. Not Even Close. Bobbins Barely Emptied.
I took a break to eat what used to be in here, because my strength was flagging (this was the last of the food we brought back from Oz in July. The Crunchies went really quickly):
And still, FIVE EPISODES LATER, I might be about halfway through. In my defence, it's very pretty yarn, though I can't figure out how to get the flash to cooperate.

The overall colour is pretty true, and I will eventually take a picture which proves I'm right, that those bobbins are perfect for each other, and luckily there are still four more episodes of season one, by which time I'd better be finished, and by which time I'll probably be addicted to the show, resulting in my issuing pathetic inter-library loan requests for Seasons Subsequent, however many there may be.

But I'll tell you this: I'll KNIT through the rest of Grey's Anatomy, and next time I decide to ply this much, this fine, I'm renting all the Halloween movies or something else that'll scare the crap out of me and make me treadle as though whatshisface is actually after me and not Jamie Lee Curtis.

5 comments:

Spindlers2 said...

I go for CSIs various, leavened with rereading Georgette Heyer, whilst in extremis.

But - I bow before your majorly balanced plying, however you achieved it. Like, wow!

(Sorry, just feeling that way about this morning....)

Hope you are looking after yourself.

Charlene said...

Hmmm, the CSIs get a bit silly after awhile (although yes, I was was after all watching GREY'S so never mind...) with all the cleavages and microscope montages, but the real problem is they're not exciting enough to make me treadle faster! I'd Law&Order, but I think I've seen most of them already.

And thanks, Carol, yes I am looking after myself and feeling fabulous overall. The absence of job stress is wonderfully restorative. My back is on the mend enough that I could sit and ply for five episodes, and go for walks and all that good stuff.

As for the plying - thanks! The wonderful Judith Mc-Mc has over the years had a profound impact on the way I look at plying and the importance thereof, though I still can't figure out how she fixes her spinning imperfections as she plies. She does this thing with her thumb which I can't duplicate.

Anonymous said...

What you can't get "crunchies" in the U.S.? Or are the one from OZ better?
I can get you crunchies....for my Queen.Just pipe up and I'll run to the store right now.

kim said...

Thank you for today's chuckle on my way to the mammogram place.

Charlene said...

I think there are places I can find them locally - but we came back from visiting the family with a CASE of King-Size! What I luuuurrrrve are Flakes though, yum yum. There was this drive-in place we used to go to as kids called Dairy Den, and we all used to order a Choc 99, which was a cone, with a Flake, wrapped in soft serve with a cherry on top.

Sigh....