Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Acid Rain

Yes, my yarn did so enjoy its overnight warm acid bath. The water was clear in the morning, and the pesky excess navy dye did excellent magic for me: it blended and muted the multitudinous colours into an interesting, complex whole that's not too overwhelming. Screams multidirectional knitting, if you ask me. Plying's quite pretty too, even if I do say so myself.

Lest you wonder, this is by no means the first skein of this size and grist that I have plied; it is merely the first time I've actually bothered to pay attention to just how long it took, and it was certainly surprising to me. 

Next time someone looks disdainfully at my socks or sweater in progress and asks how long they take, I still won't have an answer beyond "it depends", but if ever again I do a spinning demo and happen to have a twelve-ounce three-ply sportweight-to-dk-weight merino skein on hand as a sample, I'll be able to tell them that the plying took about seven hours.

No comments: