Saturday, May 1, 2010

Zoom Zoom

It feels as though I've been incredibly busy since I posted last Sunday, but for the life of me I can't quite figure out what specific activities I have engaged in to give me that impression.

I have been trying to buy a car, but apparently if you prefer a stick shift, they assume you also require $1400 worth of moon-roof and BMW-quality audio equipment, and seem rather nonplussed when it turns out that you in fact don't, and seem less interested in actually selling you a car.

It's quite a puzzle to me.

I seriously want a new car yesterday.

I did make a second earring and bracelet to match (I made the first earring for the last class I taught).
It wasn't a huge effort in all fairness. This is pretty much instant gratification as far as these things go. Perhaps I'll make a few more and clear out some bead space.

I also made an experimental medallion with an assortment of beads, as a proof-of-concept, but I actually rather like the colours, and so instead of cutting it up, I might just turn it into a necklace. Next I'd like to see if I can embed a rivoli in the middle.
Speaking of cutting, it's all coming back to me (where the busy time happened).

My local bead store suddenly had oval crystals, and so I had to make the perfect bezel. I believe I'm at version three or four right now, and yes, there was cutting involved. My trash can is awash in short, wiggly lengths of beading thread.
On the serendipity scale, I have to count these earrings which are not what I'd planned, but not bad anyway.

I saw some earrings which had only four of the triangular units, making a diamond-shape, but it turned out that because of the way I joined each unit to its mate, I needed six for them to lie properly.

Perhaps I should next work on putting them together in a bracelet or necklace. I imagine I'll end up with a basket or a bowl of very tasty soup or something.

I also want to combine them in other multiples (three, four, eight perhaps), but not tonight.

On the knitting front, I've been doing it.

I always keep a sock project in my car, for dentist appointments, very long traffic jams and other similar emergencies, and at home I knit sweaters. This means that socks take many, MANY months to complete.

My daughter requested a pair of socks, and realising that these socks could not be a car project (as I'm just about at the heel of sock number two of my current car project, and she'll be married with three kids by the time I finish the next pair of car socks after these), I decided to break with my routine and Knit Socks In The House As My Main Project. (Shock horror).

It's astonishing how quickly they go.

I always forget that.

1 comment:

Gypsy said...

What a day~! At least you ended it on a great note, with that beateous medallian and other beady goods!
Yes, stick shifts are getting harder and harder to find..love mine and tho it has 250K miles, is still going strong!I am going to cry when I have to give it up.