Sunday, March 21, 2010

Auntie Meme?

These are not new. I feel obliged to have at least one picture when I post.

1.Explain what ended your last relationship?

His secret girlfriend, secret new apartment and secret moving plans revealed to me just hours before they went into effect. And only because I suggested taking a romantic vacation. Bitter? Me?

2. When was the last time you shaved?

Huh.

3. What were you doing this morning at 8 a.m.

This.

4. What were you doing 15 minutes ago?

Drinking coffee. Wondering why I could hear the wings of a bird in my studio basement when above me is only under-floor, and I couldn't hear them from the main floor. Wondering how to get the bird out of the ductwork (brilliant deduction as to its whereabouts). Wondering how the hell it got in there in the first place.

5. Some things you are excited about?

My mitred squares skirt is very close to being finished. All I need (now that spring is officially here) is a cold day or two within the next couple of weeks.

Puget Sound Bead Festival.

The dinner next Saturday night which is so far only in the planning stages (Swordfish ceviche. I wonder how hard it is to make tortilla chips? Some variant of vichyssoise. I think artichoke. Multi-grain bread. Lamb stuffed with pancetta, wild mushrooms and possibly spinach. Grilled asparagus. Or cauliflower. Or baby squash if I can find them. Arugula salad with olive-marinated grape tomatoes. Rolled pavlova or perhaps flourless chocolate cake - but I think that'll be too heavy - or panna cotta or pears poached in a wine reduction).

6. What is your favorite flavor of JELL-O?

No clue. Do adults eat the stuff?

7. Your prom night, what do you remember about it?

My emerald green dress, which my mother made from a gorgeous Vogue pattern, turned out to be not very well-balanced in terms of the amount of fabric in the front versus the back, so it had to be continually readjusted to keep the neckline in the right place. Looked great, but a nuisance to wear.

8. Do you have any famous ancestors?

Rumour has it that Molotov was my great-great uncle. His real last name (hint: not Molotov) is very similar to my paternal family's actual last name, he was from the same area as the family, he was said to be Jewish, an orphan, and he looked EXACTLY like my grandfather. Apparently back in the day the White Russian army used to scour villages and conscript young boys as soldiers, which is how my great-uncle disappeared.

9. Last thing received in the mail?

Beads.

10. How many different beverages have you had today?

Coffee.

11. Do you ever leave messages on people’s answering machine?

Of course. Why is this a question?

12. Do you draw your name in the sand when you go to the beach?

Never.

13. Any plans for Friday night?

Ballet.

14. Do you like what the ocean does to your hair?

When all of my summer happened on the beach, and I had long hair and a perm, I loved it. People would ask me if I'd dyed my hair. With short hair and extremely rare visits and awareness of skin cancer it really doesn't get the opportunity to do all that much.

15. Have you ever received one of those big tins of 3 different popcorns?

If I have, it wasn't deemed important enough to keep in long-term memory. I'd rather use the space to keep my first dog (an easily-irritated dachshund named Goldie), the first boy I ever kissed (Derek Matheson, where are you now?), the gorgeous sweater that I made from handspun silk bought in Toronto that was stolen out of my boyfriend's mother's guest cottage and which I was certain I'd see someone on the street wearing, how people would crowd around and coo over my daughter when she was a newborn with all that hair. Y'know, seminal stuff.

16. Do you re-use towels after you shower?

Yes. Of course.

17. Describe your keychain(s)?

Standard split ring with four keys (house, my car, my son's car, the steering wheel lock for my daughter's car), a bunch of cards (library, Office Something and Something Else, and another something else) and a very cool metal thingie that I bought at a gallery in Asheville the last time SOAR was at Lake Junaluska.

18. Where do you keep your change?

In my wallet.

19. When was the last time you spoke in front of a large group of people?

Does teaching a class of twenty count as "large"? A few years ago.

20. What kind of winter coat do you own?

Very heavy brown suede/faux shearling stops all wind three buttons pockets that lose gloves if not shoved all the way in.

No comments: