Sunday, November 25, 2007

Flip-Flop

Or, as I'd rather believe, because I'm flexible, open-minded, not afraid to adjust expectations according to circumstances.



Pretty sleeves, huh?  One blocked, one unblocked, both with a decent, though not terribly exciting cable running up the centre.

The truths are as follows:
1.  The sleeve, while not tight, is tapered and not ideally suited to wearing over other sleeves.
2.  The yarn is soft enough for next to the skin wear - it has some angora in it, after all.
3.  After blocking, it has a little bit of drape (OK, so I have a vivid imagination).
4.  This wasn't thrilling me as a cardigan.

And so it won't be.  

The only thing I'm keeping from the original pattern (which was not the original pattern for me for this yarn), is the cable, sort of, and the moss (ish) stitch.  Because it turns out that I'm a sucker for saddle shoulders as well as experiments in knitting, the fairly nice cable on the sleeve will extend to a shoulder saddle, BUT with raglan sleeve shaping, which will be slightly less brainless than vanilla raglan shaping.  

For my money and body, raglan armholes are cheap in terms of cognitive effort: once you've reached the armholes on your body and sleeves, you just decrease until either the sleeve stitches are gone, or the neck-hole is the right size.  Yes, you do need to account for the front neck shaping (but you have to do that anyway), unless you like neck-hole strangulation (which I don't), but there's none of the matching the sleeve cap to the armhole and then having to rip out the shoulder shaping on the body to refit the armhole to the cap, which naturally in this instance means the neck too, which is both complete and complex and impossible to duplicate (well, too much trouble anyway) when the cap turns out to have been constructed for a different armhole, which happens when you foolishly start your sleeves from the cuffs rather than from the sleeve cap, picked up and knitted from the armhole so it's guaranteed to fit.

So.  Raglan with saddles.

I have a good bit of knitting (the entire body) before I have to decide what sort of neckline I want.  Crew? Vee? High vee?  Collar? With buttons?  Without buttons? Shawl?

Either way, it's looking like the sort of garment that will just be better as a pullover than a cardigan.  Besides, I have plenty of scratchier yarns which would make perfect cardigans.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm just finshing a pullover today. Mock turtle for this one, even though the pattern calls for a high turtle.(can not do that yarn to
itchy)
I am thinking a shawl collar for the one your making.Don't ask me why.


O.K. I'll tell you. I think a shawl collar looks so nice with a hand woven scarf,and then when you remove scarf the sweater frames the STUNNING "mineminemine" necklace.
Hello... would that not be cool. I ask you eh? So I will learn to do the EMale. Rachelh is helping. I am on the Ravelry now.love denny xooxo