Thursday, November 5, 2009

One More Time

The home sale on Sunday [edited: I originally wrote "Saturday" and when I was proofreading I just about had a heart attack!] is still happening, and I'm still working on more inventory.
This one I'm not entirely sure about. Reminds me of a weird sort of Groucho Marx disguise.

And I did finish writing up the instructions for last Tuesday's class while travelling home from SOAR, and since I haven't done this for a while, I thought I'd offer the pattern.
You get to do lots of tubular herringbone, preferably with very tight tension so that the links hold their shape nicely.
Two sizes of seed beads coupled with tight tension forms the shape of these long and short links that are joined together to make a necklace or a bracelet.
The clasp is a beaded toggle using one of the short links as the toggle loop.

I see lots of room for experimentation and variations.
  • The long links could fade from one colour at one end to another at the other end.
  • You could use lampwork beads, large pearls or semi-precious stones to form a sort of bridge joining the two long sides of a long link to each other.
  • Use a long and short pair as dramatic earrings by sewing an ear wire to the rim of a short link.
  • Instead of alternating long and short links, form a chain comprising sets of three short followed by one long link - this would be great as a rather long necklace or lariat.
  • Make a necklace of multiple lengths of different commercial chains, and use one or more short links as accent sliders to bundle the chains together.
Long and Short Pattern: $6 for a PDF emailed to you







Materials
Size 11 and size 8 seed beads
Your favuorite beading needle
Your favourite beading thread

No comments: