Saturday, February 23, 2013

Letting Go

A little gift for a friend who got good news about a job.
 After I finished my cauliflower-esque beaded bead, I spent far too much of my meagre free time working on a variation that could be a flat pendant, to no avail. After letting go of that little obsession, I ended up with a lovely little slider instead.
Although it's hanging out alone, I'd love to see a whole collection of them lined up together. Make it longer, and it's a super-blingy bangle.

Guess I need to shop for more chatons!

This isn't the first time that I've fixated on what turned out to be a bad idea, stitching and cutting and stitching and undoing and stitching and cutting ad nauseum until I give up. The problem is that sometimes I do get it right, I do end up with what I was aiming for, even after endless snippage, and the sense that a solution is imminent is indistinguishable on a path that leads to success versus a path that ends in my giving up. I'm a decent problem-solver, but that doesn't mean that there's always the solution that I want - the solution could be giving up that idea and taking a sharp left turn, but I never know it until I do it. There's just no way to tell. And sometimes I just have to give up completely, and I never get anywhere close, anywhere even distantly related to where I think I wanted to be.

Luckily, this time, it's close enough.

No comments: